Posted in Sewing

Teacher’s Presents – Book Covers

Right that’s just about it another school year over and done with, and it’s been a busy one especially as it was Sweetie’s first year. This had one final unexpected treat in store for me: twice as many teacher presents at the end of the year. Nine of them to be precise!

Fabric Book Covers

After rummaging through my idea books I decided to make some book covers for some A5 notebooks. The project asked for two fat quarters per cover, but with nine books to make I shuddered at the thought of buying 18 fat quarters. If you’ve ever bought them you’ll know they aren’t half as cheap as they should be. I decided that 9 cotton fat quarters and a length of poly cotton for the lining, to keep the cost down a little but still provide a nice finish.

After making them up I found that for the books I bought I needed just a little over half a fat quarter for each piece (outer and inner). I’m glad I bought just a length of fabric for the inner covers as I needed much less than 9 fat quarters  (2.5m).

I tried to pick fabrics to for each teacher, as much as I could – this probably took longer than most of the sewing!

So here we have 4 Book Covers for Sweetie’s teachers:

4 Book Covers

and 5 for Pretzel Boy’s Teachers:

5 Book Covers

I also decided to add some letter to the inside of each cover, a ‘Thank You’ with our child’s name and the year in the back cover:

Open Book Cover - Back

and the Teacher’s name in the front cover:

Open Book Cover - Front

The letter is quite simple but I hope it adds a little something – plus they won’t get mixed up so easily.

I have also persuaded Pretzel Boy to add a few words for each teacher that I’ve printed and stuck inside too.

Book Cover Poem

Advertisements
Posted in Sewing

A lot of bunting for a special Pyksy Crew

So if you don’t follow me on facebook you might have thought that I had disappeared completely, and even if you did you might have thought I’d run off with the faeries.

But you’d be wrong, though the faeries did make a tempting offer! I’ve been busy preparing costumes for this year’s 3 Wishes Faery fest; getting swept away with all the fun at the faery fest; trying to recover from our faery adventure and making 40m of bunting for a very good cause. Oh and of course I’ve been glued to The Sewing Bee too.

More on most of that another day, this blog is about my bunting making. As you might have guessed we’ve become rather fond of attending a few little festivals and the more you go the more you get used to seeing the same faces about. One of these is the Gypsy Pyksy group of circus and theatre entertainers, they’ve run circus skills workshops at a few festivals we’ve been to now and our kids just love spending time learning skills and playing games with them.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Unfortunately they’ve had a pretty bad start the the summer with all of their kit being stolen. The group leader Jay was obviously devastated by this and a Crowdfunder appeal was started to help get them back on their feet.

On top of this a few people through Facebook contacted Jay directly and asked what other things they could do. Obviously I offered to make something and the obvious thing was to make ‘some’ bunting, I’d seen they had lost 50m of bunting so that was a good target for me to go for. I sat down with my upcycling pile of fabrics and sifted through for things to use: Mainly things that wouldn’t curl, I threw them in a crate and started cutting triangles.

Some Bunting Triangles

And then I cut a lot more! As these are meant for festivals and used outside I decided not to finish the edges but just cut them pining shears which should give plenty of life before they start fraying and even more before that looks bad.

Lots of Bunting Triangles

I ended up with 218 triangles (cut with my trusty template) to go with my big roll of binding to sew it all to.

None of it took too long to do, but as always there are little things that get in the way of finding time to sit behind the machine and just keep sewing. But I finished eventually, with a total of 40m of upcycled festival bunting.

Now I don’t know about you but I’ve never wondered what 40m of bunting would look like on my sofa, well not until this morning. And in case you have here it is…

Bunting on sofa

And now it’s all packaged up and ready to put some smiles on faces…

Packed Bunting